That was me this morning. I finally managed to get into the car after yelling at the dog that he was never allowed outside again. I sat there in the car for just a second trying to take a few deep breaths. Then I called my husband to vent for a few minutes. I told him I was going to give the dog and our child away to the circus. He said that probably wasn't a good idea. Of course I agreed, but I did tell him I need a break.
By the time my daughter and I got back from the grocery store I was in a completely different mood. Just the short trip to buy bananas and almond milk turned the entire day around. It got me thinking about ways we can give ourselves a little break during the day when we aren't actually alone. I complied a little list of things you can do when you're having an especially difficult day.
- Start with some deep breaths!
- Load the kids into the car and go for a drive.
- For some quite time put on their favorite show, DVD, etc.
- Go for a walk and let your kiddo explore.
- Make it a mission to find the perfect park. Try a new one when you both need a distraction.
- Take a hot shower. Whether it be during nap time or if you have to bring toys into the bathroom for entertainment.
- Go outside and play.
- Go for a coffee (or whatever you favorite drink is).
- Read a book. I try to do this during nap time.
- Listen to music. It could be something soothing or something to dance around to.
- And if all else fails start counting down the hours to bedtime.
What do you do to keep your cool when you're able to lose your mind?